[TEN Interview] Cross Gene “We want to win a trophy in an awards ceremony that people around the world are watching”
Original multinational group Cross Gene (Shin, Takuya, Yongseok, Sangmin, Seyoung) is back after reorganizing with 5 members. It is the first one after a year and 3 months. Cross Gene released their 5th mini album ‘ZERO’ last May 8 and currently active with their double title songs “Touch It” and “Fly”.
Cross Gene who debuted in 2012 with their mini album ‘TIMELESS: BEGINS’ will be celebrating their 6th anniversary on June 8. Although they faced a crisis last year after Casper left the group, the members relied on each other and strengthened their teamwork. They were shaken but did not break. They got up again with determination to start from 0, just like (their album) ‘Zero’. The members said together, “It is our dream to establish a Cross Gene company.” and “We want to stay together.”
- You made a comeback after 1 year and 3 months. You’ve been active after a long time, did you adapt well?
Yongseok: The way to music broadcasts has been is different from the past. Many things have changed such as the call time, air time. It seems like most of them (idols) basically go to work with make-up except us. (laughs)
Shin: When we appear in music broadcasts in the past, there were quite a number of same age groups. We greet each other but now there are a lot of new friends so it is awkward. On the day of our comeback, thankfully (G)-IDLE and GFRIEND members came to us and greeted us first. They even dropped by with their CDs and said “Congratulations”. We were grateful more than I imagined. It’s good that there are people who check on us.
- Does your 5th mini album ‘ZERO’ has a special meaning to you?
Shin: It means to start again from the beginning. You can change anything from ‘0’. The idea is to change what we have rather than turning back time. It also expresses our determination to grow in the future.
- There is still an “Idol War” in the music industry. How was it compared when you debut?
Yongseok: It’s on world war level now. The number of members in a group also changed since then.
Shin: Above all, there are more multinational groups. When we made our debut, there were no multinational groups other than us. There was usually just one foreign member in a team. On the other hand, we were half foreigners. In a way, it was different and fans were curious. Now, it has become a universal trend.
Takuya: It also gives us a competitive spirit. In a way, Cross Gene was the starting point of multinational groups. When I think about it, I tell myself to work harder to avoid feeling embarrassed.
Seyoung: New groups continue to emerge, making their debut and comeback. We feel the “Idol War” more these days.
Shin: It’s already a big opportunity to appear in music broadcasts.
- This coming June 8 marks your 6th anniversary since debut. What is the most memorable moment?
Yongseok: There’s a lot. It’s not easy to pick just one because there are so many happy moments.
Shin: I remember Seyoung’s debut stage. It was March 2013, he made a ‘huge accident’ during his debut stage in Japan. (laughs) He made a mistake in the choreography and he immediately froze.
Seyoung: I joined the team in December 2012. It was the first time I learned to dance in my entire life, learned it for a few months, stood on stage and I exploded. At that moment, my head went white like a sheet of paper, I looked around and the members were still dancing regardless (of my mistake). When I look back at the audience, I honestly saw more than 20,000 people. Personally, it is a moment I want to erase.
Yongseok: I’m sorry but we really had fun. (laughs)
- What is sad during your 6 years of activity?
Takuya: It’s unfortunate that we haven’t met our fans more often.
Shin: We usually make a comeback once a year. It is sad. Although we have personal activities, we weren’t been able to be in front of our fans as a complete Cross Gene. We are sorry and I personally feel so sad.
- Last year, your member Casper left. It must have been a turning point.
Yongseok: A member who we spent a long time with left (the team). I also questioned Cross Gene’s existence. Even I seemed to lose my identity, “Is this the right way for the team?”, “What should we do?”. I felt impatient and anxious.
Shin: It has been the biggest change for Cross Gene in 6 years. To be honest, it was difficult to move on naturally. My heart felt bad. It wasn’t easy as just saying “Let’s do well with 5 people”, but we believe that there are possibilities to grow further. The members then talked a lot. We gathered our thoughts by talking.
- While preparing for your solo concert in Japan last April, did the members become stronger together?
Shin: We had to revise our choreography from our debut song until the latest ones. As the members shared opinions and talked about our old songs, what happened then came to our minds. We looked back in the past and was filled with memories. While preparing for the concert, we had a lot of honest conversation.
- For your 6th debut anniversary, (if) there will be (a song that will) ‘climb the chart’. Are there any particular songs you recommend?
Sangmin: I want more people to hear our song “Amazing” which was released in 2014. It is a song where Cross Gene’s sexy charms stand out. The performance is especially exciting.
Yongseok: We revised our choreography to a “broadcast version” after it was reviewed by broadcasting companies. It was sad we weren’t able to show more of the original version. I want to show it to more people through a stage like a guerilla concert.
- Any entertainment program you want to guest with complete members?
Yongseok: I want to go to “Knowing Bros”. It’s a very refreshing program. They talk freely with each other and it sounds fun.
Shin: I want to go to “Weekly Idol” and “Idol Room” to show the teamwork of a 6 year old group.
- What do the members want to try other than being singers?
Takuya: I want to try to be a professional bowler. I like Bowling very much.
Shin: I’ve taken a lot of interest in cooking these days. I want to learn cooking simple foods.
Yongseok: I want to try a restaurant business. Especially a Japanese restaurant. (laughs) Since we had a lot of schedules in Japan, I learned a lot of local foods. I would like to have a fusion restaurant by having a menu that suits the taste of Korean people.
Shin: I want to start a music video company. We worked with Director Hong Won Ki for the second time and I learned more about him. Since we were talking a lot, I got curious so I started researching and got attracted with directing. He started with 400,000 won. Now their annual sales is beyond imagination. We recently filmed our music video “Cross Gene Believe Me.” I felt it again but I really enjoyed it. “Money” is not the purpose but the happiness while working. I want to learn well and personally direct a Cross Gene MV.
Seyoung: I want to have a studio (recording studio). There are a lot of friends who work hard to be musicians. I want to help those friends to make their dreams come true.
- What would you like to try as Cross Gene?
Yongseok: We have a dream to build a Cross Gene company. We want to train our juniors. We will be proud to have friends who had a dream of becoming singers after watching us. We have to work harder to do that.
Shin: I want to build a Cross Gene company and spend a long time with my members just like Shinhwa.
- The team has reorganized to 5 members and is starting again. Are there new “attack tactics” to gain “hardcore fans”?
Shin: First of all, the long hiatus was the biggest obstacle. Nowadays, fans turn their backs when there is nothing to see. It’s not the fans’ fault. It’s just like that. So the conclusion that we thought after worrying was “Youtube”. We will continue making and producing video contents of our daily activities and share it with our fans. We already gathered a lot of videos. We are planning to have a window to communicate with our fans while taking a break from the album promotions.
Yongseok: I’m thinking of going to schools and have a guerilla concerts just like in “School of Rock”. We need to target teenage fans, which we have few.
- We are halfway through the year. What do you want to achieve?
Seyoung: We have working for 6 years already and there is something we haven’t achieved yet. We will definitely challenge ourselves to win 1st place in music broadcasts. But first, our goal is enter in the Top 100 of music charts. It sounds simple but it’s not easy to enter the Top 100 these days.
Yongseok: We want to win a trophy in an awards ceremony that people around the world is watching like “MAMA”.
- What would you like to say to your fans?
Shin: We came back after a long time but many people still checked us. Thank you so much. A member we worked with have left. (But) we get more strength because our fans who like us cheer for us during this promotions. We want to be a group that is grateful and doesn’t give up.
Trans by: Caren
Edited by: Phoenix
Goal: Cross Gene Winning #1
Feel free to translate this tutorial!
Music Shows to Win On:
Best Ways To Help:
1) Digital streaming and downloading
- This is the most important way to help as it is the biggest portion that goes into winning music shows. [General Digital Streaming Guidelines]
- MelOn is the most important streaming service [Tutorial]
- Only iOS users can directly purchase MelOn, Mnet and other paid Korean streaming vouchers, so you will have to ask a fellow CandY or message on Twitter the following people with your MelOn account information to purchase the voucher for you:
- @CROSSGENE_ASIA or @crossgenecandy on Twitter with your MelOn account information, so we can log into your account and buy the voucher for you.
- You will need to pay crossgene_asia on our Paypal e-mail beforehand: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Genie is the second most important, and you can stream on it for free through Genie coupons or links [Tutorial]
- MelOn is the most important streaming service [Tutorial]
- *Important note* those who are new to buying digital streaming vouchers, please attempt buying your vouchers at least two days before the comeback, so if you run into any problems you can ask fellow CandY to help you.
2) Youtube MV streaming
- There are a few key points to keep in mind when streaming:
- Do not use shortcut methods like auto-refresh, many tabs or incognito: it will make your views count as spam
- Use the AutoHD Chrome extension
- You can download the Softether VPN so that you can change IPs whenever viewing on normal Youtube
- Use different browsers like Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome to view the MV.
- The manual way is here as follows:
- Open up different windows in different browsers, 1 window per browser at a time
- Be logged out of your Youtube account
- Search in Youtube: CROSS GENE Black or White
- Watch the entire MV without pausing
- Once done, close the windows and repeat steps 1-5
3) Pre-voting for music shows
- This is voting done before shows air their episode and is super easy & free.
- You can create multiple e-mails to vote on Music Core and Idol Champ! [Secret E-Mail Shorcut Tutorial] DM us @CROSSGENE_ASIA on Twitter for the password to the tutorial
- Mnet only allows sign up with social media accounts, and will block IPs if they vote continuously on the same day with different accounts, so to bypass IP bans, sign up and use VPNs to change your IP and region. They are super easy to use. A few you can use: [Tunnelbear] [Hola VPN]
4) Buying their physical album
- Physical album sales are some of the biggest ways you can support Cross Gene.
5) SNS Points: Tweeting & Facebook Sharing
- SNS points count towards Inkigayo 35%, part of it is MV views and another part of it is how represented CROSS GENE are on Social media, such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Tweet with the hashtag “#크로스진” and “#” as much as you can (maximum 100 tweets per hour though)
- There is an easier way to do so. DM @CROSSGENE_ASIA for our secret weapon regarding tweeting
- On CROSS GENE’s official Facebook, like, share and comment on their posts
- Use the [Gaon Social Chart Tutorial] to share CROSS GENE’s MV on Twitter/Facebook/Weibo [Weibo Sign Up Tutorial] and increase SNS points this way
- Tweet with the hashtag “#크로스진” and “#” as much as you can (maximum 100 tweets per hour though)
- Make sure to watch official live performances from all music shows as well to count toward SNS points!
6) Live voting and searching
- For Mcountdown, Music Core, The Show and Inkigayo, the top 2 or 3 artists nominated for the win will have a period of live voting
- Sending SMS votes can increase the ranking. This will only count if Cross Gene are in the Top 3. Votes otherwise will not be counted.
- For ifans, it costs a lot to send international SMS so you can use http://smsrr.com/, globfone.com to send them for free (choose your country as Korea).
- This will only count once and you must only vote while The Show is broadcasting and when the MC’s tell you to vote. This is how the voting layout should look in www.smssr.com: you must just put “크로스진” DO NOT PUT CROSS GENE IN ENGLISH! It must be in Hangeul.
- Numbers to use for each show
- The Show – 821119
- MCountdown – 822566
- Music Core – 820505
- Inkigayo – 821245
- Example (use the numbers given above though please!)
- Watch the shows live from this page so you know when to send in those votes!
- Search 크로스진 on MelOn, Naver, Daum and Nate during live broadcasts to help CROSS GENE trend and increase SNS points
To help everything be more organized, create an excel document with all your usernames and passwords.
For clarity, use the comeback support calendar below. The red area represents the most important days of the comeback, as it is our best shot at a win.
For regular updates, be sure to follow @crossgene_asia on Twitter.
Airs Saturday 3:50PM KST [Watch Live]
They weigh up their ranking on the following criteria (Bold text indicates areas Ifans can influence):
60% Physical+Digital Album Sales
15% Audience live voting (for top 3 nominees) [Tutorial]
10% MV Views
10% Viewers Pre-vote [Link]
5% MBC Radio broadcast
▷ Pre-Voting (Wed 10:00AM – Thu 12:00PM KST)
Go to the above link and create an MBC account
Then when prompted, click the foreigner living abroad option (to the bottom right) and check all the boxes below
Once you fill out your information (it will all be in English), type in your e-mail (recommended to be gmail), click button #4 and enter your code, then click button #5.
Once you log in, go back to the voting page and choose CROSS GENE and 3 other artists. Make sure that the other artists you choose are not very popular. When using multiple accounts to vote, try changing up the 3 less popular artists you’re voting for.
ASIA GLOBAL GROUP CROSS GENE
“CROSS GENE” is a group consisting of 5 members from Korea and Japan. Each member has their own catchphrase which is symbolised by their gene.
Their style is a mix of 3 different cultures; it is not K-POP or J-POP. From Asia to the world, a new “Global Sound” is born.
The group made their debut in Korea on June 11th, 2012, and in Japan on March 13th, 2013.
이세영 LEE SEYOUNG
SHIN 신원호 SHIN WON HO
寺田拓哉 TERADA TAKUYA
김상민 KIM SANGMIN
Deep Tone Rap
김용석 KIM YONGSEOK
Sexy Pop Vocal
- CGFA Content
- Cross Gene
- Blue Nabee
- Call You Mine
- Cherry Blossom Boy
- Closed Sites
- Guns & Roses
- Hello Seyoung
- In The Moment
- Monthly Presh
- Orange Marmalade
- Peace of Mind
- Peterpan Complex
- Scene Stealer
- Shine Your Light
- Soft Hands
- TV & Movie
- 20th Century Boy and Girl
- Abnormal Summit
- All the Love in the World
- Battle of the Hiphopera
- Boat Horn Clenched Fists
- I Love Your Face: By Chance in Japan
- Law of Jungle
- Let's Go Dream Team
- Power Rangers Dino Force Brave
- Secret Message
- Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
- The Legend of the Blue Sea
- The Lover
- Tour Avatar
- Where is My Friend's Home?
- Yang Se Chan's Ten